Monday, October 4, 2010

We're "Home"

Scott and I returned to Wisconsin on Saturday after spending 11 days in Columbus due to my Dad's emergency open heart surgery.  Even though there are things that I like about Wisconsin, I didn't really want to come back here.  I told Scott as we traveled that it felt like we were leaving home (Columbus) to come to a strange place (Wisconsin).  He asked me when was the last time I spent 11 days at my parents' house.  I haven't spent 11 days at my parents house since I lived there 20 years ago.  The circumstances that led us to Columbus for 11 days were stressful and worrisome, but there was still something that felt good about being "home".  It felt so familiar.  And comfortable. 

At home, I know where things are and how things work.  For example, my Mom told me on our first day there where the toaster is located in case Scott and I wanted toast for breakfast.  I told her I know where the toaster is located.  It's been in the same place for the past 35 years.  Later in the visit, my Mom told me where her address book is located so I could get a relative's phone number.  I told her I know where the address book is located.  It's also been in the same place for the past 35 years.  Scott mowed the lawn at my parents' house while we were there.  He was looking for the gas can in the garage.  I told him where to find it under the work bench.  It, too, has been in the same place for the past 35 years.

Unlike the past 9 months in Madison, I knew where to find everything I wanted and needed while I was home.  It felt so good and made me realize how difficult the past 9 months have been as I have navigated around a strange "new" city and been living out of boxes.  If you asked me where my toaster is, I'm not sure I could tell you at this point.  And I have no clue where my address book is at the moment.

Like it or not, we had to return to Wisconsin.  I need to get back to work.  This is where we live for now, even though it doesn't feel like home. 

The lawn at our house needed mowed before we left in a hurry to get to Columbus.  After 11 days, it really needed mowed by the time we returned.  Scott took care of it yesterday.  In the midst of his mowing project, he came in the house to tell me he saw a fox in the yard.  We went out on the deck and, sure enough, there was a red fox running through the neighbor's yard behind us.

Having a fox in the neighborhood makes me worried for small dogs and the cats that run around the neighborhood.  Birds?  Fine.  Deer?  Good.  Fox?  Needs to move on and go live in the woods over by the lake. 

(picture from Canadian Animals website)

1 comment:

smjoseph said...

Although that isn't the actual fox I saw, it was similar in size. It was actually a bit larger than this one. He was obviously looking for food. part of our lot includes close to a quarter of an acre of woods. I wonder if he lives in our yard?