Friday, October 22, 2010

The Pour House

Since moving to Stoughton, I have been wanting to check out a downtown establishment called The Pour House.  Actually, there are a number of places downtown that I would like to check out.  I find downtown Stoughton charming.  I need to get better pictures, but here are a couple to at least give you the flavor.




As you can see, it's an older downtown with store fronts.  Often times there is music piped outside so as you are walking around, there is music to listen to and enjoy.  It's quaint.

I'm not sure when I'll actually do the exploring that I want to do downtown, but we did at least check out The Pour House.  Here is a picture of the entrance.



Again, not a great picture but I couldn't get any good outdoor shots because someone who shall go unnamed was rushing me....

We were at The Pour House in the early afternoon of a weekday, so it wasn't very busy.  As the appearance of the entrance in the photo above shows, it's a narrow joint but it had a cozy, comfortable atmosphere.  Creaky wood floors.  A dark wood bar.


Couple things about Wisconsinites.  We love our cheese.  And we love our beer.  These aren't just stereotypes.  I have found them to be truths.  Not that I expected anything less given the fact that we are in Wisconsin and the place is called The "Pour" House, but The Pour House had an extensive beer list.


The picture looks blurry here, but every item listed on that page in the photo above is some kind of beer.  Scott likes more stout beers and this Wisconsin, home-town brew is one of his favorites.


The cow on the label is jumping over an image of the state of Wisconsin.  Someone pointed out, though, that at a quick glance it looks like the cow is doing something naughty to a sheep.  I don't think I'll ever look at the label of a Spotted Cow beer the same again.

I, personally, prefer watery domestic beers.  But, hey, at least this brand is brewed right here in Wisconsin.


I have often thought that I would like to own a small, casual bar with a theme of loaded questions.  Those of you who know me well know all about my loaded questions at parties.  I even used to get requests to facilitate loaded questions at gatherings.  Well, looks like The Pour House was on to the same idea.  Each table had a cup on it with a variety of trivia cards.


They also have bands and dance parties at The Pour House.  There is even an old-fashioned stage for performances.

 
The day we were there, our server told us that they were hosting some kind of a dance party that night.  Scott said he wanted to return for the dance party and that he was going to get on the stage and do The Worm.  Let me tell you something.  My beloved husband doing The Worm is surefire way to make a visit to the emergency room for some kind of injury.

In addition to the trivia cards on the tables, there were other games available (like Taboo) for patrons to play while relaxing at The Pour House.  Apparently, they have piano sing-alongs too.


Now being a part of a sing-along is more our speed than Scott doing The Worm on stage.

So, those are the highlights of The Pour House.


Much like the downtown that it's situated in, it is quaint and charming.  A place we will return to, I'm sure.  It's the kind of place that makes me feel even more positive about living in a small town like Stoughton.

No comments: