Thursday, October 21, 2010

Orange Tree Imports, Etc.

Monroe Street is considered one of the hippest areas of Madison.  My friend, Greg, and I ventured down to Monroe Street this past Monday.  We imbibed at Barriques, perused Art Gecko, and then ended up at Orange Tree Imports
I love Orange Tree Imports.  I remember going there back in 2006, the first time I came to Madison.  It's a charming shop, full mostly of gourmet kitchen items.  I picked up these cute little Le Creuset silicon bowls, which will be nice for pre-measuring ingredients when cooking.


Aren't those little bowls just the cutest things?

Here is a list of some things I wish I could do:  play the piano well, belt out tunes with a beautiful singing voice, and be a good baker.  I'm a decent cook, but not so great on the baking tip.  In spite of that knowledge about myself, I couldn't pass up this apparatus at Orange Tree Imports.


It's a scoop for cookie dough that has a flexible silicone bottom so you can just pop the cookie dough right out onto the baking sheet.  Makes me want to go bake some cookies right this minute.  I have a bit of an addiction to kitchen items (and beverage glasses....and cook books).  Even though I haven't used it yet, this cookie scoop feeds the junkie in me just by looking at it. 

I also picked this up.  It's one of those Oxo liquid measuring cups that has the slanted thingy inside so you can easily see the amount of liquid you are measuring.  This is a little baby measuring cup.  It measures ounces.  Perfect for liquid measurements for cocktails, especially because there is a spout for pouring.


Cosmo anyone??

So Orange Tree Imports is one of my favorite shops here in Madison.  Another place that has risen to the top of my favorites list is Vom Fass



I had heard of this place from a couple different people with whom I work.  I went for the first time while Greg was visiting because I thought it might be the kind of place he would also enjoy.  And I think he did enjoy it.  We both did.  It's a really neat place.  They have vats of flavored vinegars, oils, and also liquors.  You can sample any of them that interest you.  To purchase, you select the size bottle you want and then whatever you are purchasing is poured to the milliliter.  Store employees then hand write on the bottles what the contents are.

Walking in, we weren't sure where to begin.  The young man who helped us was very friendly and very knowledgeable.  He commented that the citrus vinegars were his favorite, so our first sample was a raspberry vinegar.  OMG.  It was so good I think my eyes rolled to the back of my head when I tasted it.  After that first sample, it was on.  We sampled numerous vinegars and oils and a couple of the liquors as well.  I think I could have purchased a little bit of everything in the store.  I settled on the following.



A raspberry flavored vinegar.  A pomegranate flavored vinegar.  (both should make good vinaigrette salad dressings)  A peppery olive oil (which I prefer over the grassy varieties).  And another olive oil and vinegar that, when mixed together, has dynamite flavor.  I plan to use the combo to marinade some chicken for grilling.  It's really hard to adequately describe Vom Fass.  It's something to be experienced.

So, those were two of the stops Greg and I made on Monday.  Orange Tree Imports and Vom Fass.  Groovy places.  After a little shopping, we stopped at Eno Vino-- which is a place that I think I've mentioned in a previous post.

 
Eno Vino had some interesting cocktail choices on their happy hour menu.  One of the drinks I had involved muddled cucumbers, gin and a splash of lemonade.  May sound a little strange for a cocktail but it was so tasty and very refreshing.  In addition to drink specials, Eno Vino also has a few happy hour specials on food.  Greg and I ordered these fries that came with 3 different kinds of dipping sauces.  There was a Thai ketchup, some kind of white cheese sauce, and I forget what the third sauce was.


Now that's a mountain of fries right there.  But, oooo, they were so good.  They had a sprinkling of cracked black pepper and shredded Parmesan on them.  I'm kind of in love with Eno Vino.  It's a swanky place and the drinks and food there all have a touch of flair.

So, that was most of Monday.
Orange Tree Imports.
Vom Fass.
Eno Vino.

Perfect places for a Princess.  And a Queen.

No comments: