Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Stoughton

I am feeling a little freaked out today about buying a house in Stoughton. I have always been of the opinion that one of the best things about living in Madison is....well, actually living in Madison.

We tried to find a house in Madison. We really, really tried. Scott looked at literally hundreds of houses on line and I physically saw/went into over 70 houses in and around the Madison area. It's a tough town when it comes to buying a house. Not only are the houses expensive, the property taxes are astronomical. Had we been able to make the deal work on 12 Quinn, it would have been great location-wise.  We could have ridden bikes to all the places we love downtown. But, not to be. So, off to Stoughton we go.

Stoughton is about 20-25 minutes from Madison. It feels like a long ways because a lot of the drive is through the countryside. It doesn't have the expedient feel of freeway driving.

The distance, door-to-door, from the house in Stoughton to my office in Madison is 16.5 miles. When I start feeling freaked out about moving out to Stoughton, I try to remind myself that the commute door-to-door from my house in Columbus to my office there was a little over 17 miles and took about the same amount of time as the drive from Stoughton to my office here will take. For me, part of the issue is this: at least after work when I got to my home in Columbus there were things around my house to do: restaurants, shopping, etc. Stoughton is a small town with a small town feel.  The grocery store in Stoughton is the Pick 'N Save.  Yes.  That's right.  The Pick 'N Save.

I might feel a little more positive about Stoughton if there was at least a Target there.  Nope.  No Target, but they do have a Wal-Mart. Right next to the Pick 'N Save.  I refuse to go in Wal-Mart for personal/political reasons.  Guess that means when I need personal effects I'll be driving to "town" (Madison) to go to Target. 

Granted, downtown Stoughton is cute and all, but I just prefer living in a bigger city. If you would like to take a peek at the town, here is a link to check it out: Stoughton

I suppose I'll get used to. It will be a different way of life. Maybe it will be a good thing. Slower. More quiet. More relaxing. Maybe.

Of course, I better be careful here. The deal on the house in Stoughton isn't a done deal yet. If it falls through and Scott and I become homeless in 2 weeks, I am really going to kick myself for doubting Stoughton, especially in such a public forum as my blog.  I guess I am just looking for some reassurance.  Anyone have any to offer?

(I hope I'm not creating a self-fulfilling prophecy with this post. Yikes. Should I hit delete?)

1 comment:

Jeano said...

I just used your link and discover Stoughton is the birthplace of the coffee break! Sounds like my kind of town...