Friday, July 30, 2010

Last Time- Marinette. This Time- Sheboygan.

Sheboygan, Wisconsin.

I think there is currently a commercial on the radio that makes a joke about winning a prize trip to Sheboygan, Wisconsin.  Maybe it's a commercial for an insurance company?  I'm not exactly sure whose commercial it is, but they are clearly poking fun at Sheboygan 

The company I work for has services and a small remote office in Sheboygan.  It's about a 2 hour drive from where I live in Madison. Sheboygan sits on the eastern side of the state along Lake Michigan.

I have been to Sheboygan for work a couple of times.  My most recent work trip there was on Friday, July 23.  I did what I had to do in Sheboygan and then returned to Madison.  When I parked at my apartment building and opened the back door to my vehicle to get my computer, I had a shock.  Where the f*ck is my computer??  That was the immediate thought that crossed my mind.  It only took a second to remember what happened.  I left the darn thing in Sheboygan.

Crap.

The following day, Saturday, July 24, Scott and I took a road trip to Sheboygan to get my computer.  Nothing like making a 4+ hour round trip to get a computer that I shouldn't have left there in the first place.

But, as we used to say when I lived in Kentucky:  It be's like that sometimes.

Off we went to Sheboygan.  Me and Scott.  My favorite road trip partner.  Usually when I go to Sheboygan, I go alone for work.  I go.  I do my work at my work locations.  Then I turn around and come right back to Madison.

Having Scott along for the trip, and being a leisurely Saturday afternoon, we decided to do a bit of exploring in Sheboygan.  Regardless of the images the mind may conjure up when the words "Sheboygan, Wisconsin" are uttered, it's kind of a cool place!

Sheboygan sits right on Lake Michigan, north of Milwaukee.  The photo below is taken along the shore looking back towards a section of beach.  One thing I love about beach areas in Wisconsin is that they are usually surrounded by mature trees and other pretty green scenery.


This is a closer shot of the beach area.  How about that house in the background?  Magnificent.

The photo below shows a paved walkway amongst the rocks going from the beach along part of the shore line.


The next photo is a view out across Lake Michigan.  It shows some of the land and green scape along the left side and then to the right it shows the massiveness of the lake (can't even see land on the other side; doesn't that make it more like an ocean?  who makes these rules about what is a lake vs. what is an ocean?) To me, this picture also shows the depth and beauty of the sky up here.  Don't the clouds look particularly 3-D, especially the ones over the trees?

 
There were a bunch of boats docked along the section of shore where we were.  "Funny" how different the water looks around the boat slips versus how the water looks in the lake off towards the horizon.  Notice the difference in color?  Nothing like a little fuel run-off to polute the water.  Gross.




There was a building along the pier/shore where Scott and I were hanging out.  (Not sure why I didn't get a picture of it.)  We walked up the deck to the second story and took the picture below showing the walkway along the water and the pier that goes out to all the boat slips.


As we stood on the second story deck, we saw the duck below trying to get something under water. 


This is a close up.

I'm not sure why, but that photo makes me laugh.  Maybe because sometimes I have the sense of humor of a third grader?

Remember my post about Willie's Weeny Wagon?  What's up with me and all my close encounters with wiener stands in Wisconsin?  The one below is Sparky's in Sheboygan. 


Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind having me a sparky weeny, and I ain't talkin' 'bout a hot dog......

And no pun intended by the "Quite frankly" remark.

There is a huge resort along Lake Michigan in Sheboygan named Blue Harbor Resort.  It's just enormous and quite impressive.  Stately even.  If you click on the link to look at the Blue Harbor Resort, check out some of the rooms/suites.  Surprising and kind of cool.



Blue Harbor Resort is surrounded by upscale condos, restaurants, and cute little shops.


The sign below seemed worthy of a picture.  I just wish I had gotten it straight.


Restrooms and fish cleaning.  All in one stop.  Really, who could ask for more?

At least the "facility" was cute.


There you have it.  The photo-op from Sheboygan.  Sadly, we didn't even get any pictures of the beautiful, huge, old homes in the area.

Sheboygan actually seemed to be a nice little town.  I was pleasantly surprised when Scott and I wandered around the area.  Would I want to live there?  Probably not.  But it does have charm and character.  I give props to Sheboygan for that. 


1 comment:

Jeano said...

"Sparky wienie" made me laugh out loud, right at work.

Sheboygan is a funny name, especially the more you say it.

Sheboygan. Sheboygan. She-boyyyy-gan.