Sunday, July 4, 2010

Bye-Bye Birkenstocks

For a long time, I wanted a pair of Birkenstocks.  My friend of over 20 years, Stefanie, sent me a pair as an unexpected gift a few years back.  When they arrived in the mail (Stefanie lives in south Florida),  I was excited.  I could hardly wait to put them on.  What a generous gift and, finally!  my very own Birkenstocks.  I felt so.....wholesome.  And I also felt  grateful to have a friend that knows me so personally as to, not only know I wanted a pair of Birkenstocks, but who also knew what size to order without even asking.  I wore my Birkenstocks many places, including walking my dogs around the neighborhood where my house in Columbus is located and the place that I feel most comfortable-- the place I feel like I can exhale.

As I have been unpacking from my move from one apartment to another here in Madison, it became clear that I needed to part with my Birkenstocks.  I wore them out.  They are old.  And stinky.  And funky.  And nasty.  And well-loved.


If there was ever a place to own a pair of Birkenstocks, Madison has to be it.  It feels wrong to be Birkenstock-less in this town.   

But, as they teach in Buddhism, all things, good and bad, are transient in nature.

So......

Bye-bye Birkenstocks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the best things about Birkenstocks is that they are completely rebuildable. I am sure there is a shop in Madison (or find one at www.birkenstockusa.com) that can resole them and refurbish the leather in the footbed. You don't have to give up on your old friends.