Saturday, July 24, 2010

Marinette

I did a lot of work-related traveling across Wisconsin this past week.  I logged over 800 miles.  I went to Marinette, West Bend, and twice to Sheboygan.  

I think I will always chuckle to myself when the subject of Marinette comes up.  Within my first few days on the job back in January, I met with the Human Resources Manager.  During our conversation, he mentioned that Marinette is part of my territory.  I asked him where Marinette is located, since geography has never been my strong suit.  He responded, "North of Green Bay."

I remember my reaction.  I questioned him emphatically, "North of Green Bay???  I didn't know there was anything north of Green Bay......except Canada."

But, lo and behold, there is indeed a small town north of Green Bay named Marinette, Wisconsin.  All I can say about traveling to Marinette is this: Lord have mercy.

It's over 3 hours, one way, from Madison.  Thank goodness for Starbucks and being able to sync my iPod to my car stereo.

On my way back to Madison from Marinette, I noticed the following sign along the  side of the road.


Ahhhh, the many things I see and experience in Wisconsin that are foreign to me.  This is just another example.  A snowmobile crossing sign.  Unfamiliar to me but, as I often say, it is Wisconsin after all
 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are too funny. These were all over where I grew up. In NY, not WI.

Julie J. said...

I was never under the false pretense that these kinds of signs were exclusive to Wisconsin. I'm sure they have them in places like Michigan, Minnesota, and other areas that get a lot of snow. My point of reference right now, though, is Wisconsin and how it compares to what I'm accustomed to-- having not grown up or ever lived in a place that has a lot of winter weather.

Julie J. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.