Friday, June 11, 2010

My Travels Across the Wisconsin Countryside

Since arriving in Madison this past January, I have made many work-related trips to an area called Portage, Wisconsin.  If you follow this blog, you may remember me mentioning traveling to Portage in a post from February entitled, "So....."

I travel so frequently to Portage that I now say to the secretary in the office as I'm signing out, "I'll give you three guesses where I'm going but I bet you'll get it on the first one."  She smiles and says affirmatively, "Portage."  That's right.  I'm agoin' to Portage.  Again.

Usually when I go to Portage, I drive straight up I-39 from Madison.  Yesterday, however, my GPS (for reasons I won't explain here) took me a different way.  I'm not sure what way I went.  I did eventually end up in Portage, but it wasn't by driving straight up I-39.  Instead, the route I followed yesterday had me driving through the Wisconsin countryside.  Lots of farms.  Lots and lots of cows.  As I often say, it is Wisconsin after all.

As I was driving through some very small town of which I do not know the name but where the speed limit decreased to 35 mph, a little somethin' somethin' caught my eye off to the right.  I chuckled to myself as I drove past it and then immediately decided, since I was slightly ahead of schedule, I needed to turn around and take a picture.  Oh hell, who am I kidding? I would have turned around and taken the picture even if I wasn't slightly ahead of schedule.  This was too good to pass up.  Here is what had me chuckling on my drive through a small town in the Wisconsin countryside on my way to Portage:

It's kind of hard to discern in this picture, but this is a big camper trailer that someone has converted into an over-sized food cart.  As you can see, they even have a little table with an umbrella and chairs set up out in front in case folks want to sit down and eat right there.  The painting on the big-camper-trailer-over-sized-food-cart is a great big hot dog.  Look closely, see it?

The fact that there is a big-camper-trailer-over-sized-food-cart painted like a great big hot dog in a small town in the Wisconsin countryside is funny to me.  What's even funnier to me is the name of it.

3 comments:

Jeano said...

You're right Jules. Willie's Weenie Wagon made me laugh out loud.

gregcols said...

So did u get to sample the weenies ???? :)

ReneeK said...

I think they have it right! Air stream + hot dog = heaven! Makes me see air stream in an entirely different light. I love me a big old air stream camper. And... I love me a daug with chili and cheese!