Sunday, November 14, 2010

Title Change

It occurs to me that I need a new title for my blog.  When I came up with "Musings from the West Side", I was living on the west side of Columbus.  When I initially moved to Madison, both apartments I lived in were on the west side of town, so the title still worked  Now, I live in Stoughton.  It's not the west side.  Well, I suppose it's west of something....cornfields from what I can tell (did I mention Stoughton is a small town in the country??)

Changing the title of my blog is just one of the many changes I am in the process of making to reflect the current status of my life.  Sometimes I find all the change unsettling.  Sure, the physical move from the house in Columbus to the house in Stoughton was the biggest thing and we've got that done.  Now, it's all the little, subsequent things that have to change as a result of the official move that are starting to affect me.  I probably should have taken care of a lot of these changes already.  I've been procrastinating.  I'm kind of an expert at it.  As far as the changes go..... 

I had the same home phone number in Columbus for 10 years. 
Now I have a new home phone number.

My mailing address in Columbus was the same for many years.
Now I have a new mailing address, so I need to remember all the people and vendors I need to inform.  You don't realize how much sh*t gets sent to you until you sit down and start calling people to update your address.

I have to give up the Ohio license plate on my car.  I have had the same license plate for 10 years.
Now I need to get a new one.

I also need to get a WI driver's license; but I don't want to!  I have the number on my Ohio license memorized-- and it's a pretty decent  picture, for a driver's license. 

I need to get new identification tags for my dogs.  My dogs have had the same tags with the same contact information for years.  Now, that's got to change too.  They need new tags with new contact information.

I used to get Chico's ads sent to my house.  I don't get Chico's ads anymore.  I suppose the people who bought my house in Columbus get them as "or current resident".

I had to turn off utilities at one place and turn them on at another.  In Columbus, I knew the players.  AEP, Columbia Gas, Time Warner, City of Columbus (for water).  Here in Stoughton-- who is the gas company?  the electric company?  water?  OK, granted, those things have already been figured out thanks to Scott.  It feels weird to me though.  I'm used to paying the gas bill to Columbia Gas, not Alliant Energy.  I'm used to paying the electric bill to AEP, not Stoughton Utilities. 

When I lived in Columbus, I always used to say this about my life:   "I can't tell if I'm really stable or really boring."  I had so much predictability and consistency-- just the way I like it.  I sure threw all that to the wind in 2010.  Big time.  I created a lot of upheaval in my life, that's for sure.  Knowing how much I like routine and consistency, what was I thinking when I decided to move to Wisconsin?  All these changes, the big ones and the small ones, are hard for me.  It feels never-ending.  I feel like I'm never again going to be able to achieve the stability, routine, and consistency that I crave.

The sheer volume of change has me saturated.  That's why any one little thing, like needing to change the title of my blog, can come close to pushing me over the edge.  I realize changing the title of my blog isn't a big deal.  It's that change.... on top of other change.... on top of other change.... on top of other change that has me feeling off-balance and more highly anxious than usual.

But, it is what it is.  I'm fully immersed in Wisconsin now.  As much as it pains me, my house in Columbus is owned and occupied by somebody else now.  It's not my home anymore and I can't go back there.  I have a house in Stoughton, a job here, my husband and pets are here.  My life is here, although it doesn't feel like much of a life being so far away from family and friends.  Even though all the change makes me want to buckle, how does that phrase go?  Time to put on my big girl panties and deal with it.

So, have any suggestions for a new title for my blog?

4 comments:

Eric said...

May I suggest "Burbles from the Boondocks"?

Jeano said...

How about "Hells Bells I Live Near the Dells"

ReneeH said...

How about "Cheddar Chat"? I love cheese.

ReneeK said...

I put on my big girl panties one leg at a time!