Saturday, November 20, 2010

Great Place to Spend a Birthday: The DMV

During the past 11 months in Wisconsin, I have maintained my Ohio driver's license and Ohio license plates on my car.  I held off switching them over until I had a permanent Wisconsin address.  Granted, I have had a permanent Wisconsin address for 2 1/2 months now, but I've been just a little busy since our move to the house here in Stoughton.  I was in Ohio for a couple weeks because of my Dad's health crisis.  Had company for a few days.  Have been busy at work.  Scott was working out of town for a month so I was alone on pet and house duty.  etc. etc. etc.

I actually tried to get Wisconsin plates and a Wisconsin driver's license a couple weeks ago.  Apparently the fact that I have a valid driver's license from another state and a social security card wasn't proof enough that I exist as a person.  They insisted I produce a birth certificate or passport.  OK.  Whatever.

Technically the Ohio license plates on my car expired on my birthday yesterday.  Scott and I decided he would drop me off at work in the morning, pick me up in the early afternoon so we could go to the DMV to get my Wisconsin plates and driver's license, and then we would head over to Milwaukee to go to the Crate & Barrel and have dinner.  While I was at work, several people asked me what I had planned for my birthday, to which I replied with mock excitement:  "I'm going to get myself a Wisconsin driver's license!"

Scott picked me up at my office around 1 PM and off to the DMV we went.  Party!  The DMV was fairly busy but we decided to wait it out.  Scott and I have been apart so much this year, I'm just grateful to be with him no matter where we are, even if it is the DMV.

On a side note:  why is it that all DMV's seem dirty and full of riff-raff?

Anyhow.....

When I was called to the counter I produced a copy of my birth certificate, my Ohio driver's license, a utility bill with my current address, my Ohio registration for my car, my completed applications for Wisconsin plates and a Wisconsin license, and my social security card.

Was that enough to get a Wisconsin driver's license? 

No it was not. 

They wouldn't give me a Wisconsin driver's license because I had a copy of my birth certificate and not the original.  Now they did give me Wisconsin license plates and let me register my car here, but no driver's license.  Grrrrr.

Scott and I decided we just wanted to get this handled.  (Anytime I write or say the word "handle" I'm reminded of that Miller High Life commercial when the 2 dudes are at Madison Square Garden during the  dog show.  They decide such an event is not worthy of the High Life so the one dude says to the other, "You want me to handle it?"  And the other dude replies, "Handle it."  I can see that commercial back-to-back, over-and-over and I still giggle at it.  "You want me to handle it?"  "Handle it.")

In our effort to "handle it", Scott and I drove from the DMV in Madison to Stoughton so I could get my original birth certificate and then back to the DMV in Madison.  The DMV was open yesterday until 4:30 PM.  We arrived back there the second time at about 3:40 PM.  I made a smart-a** comment to Scott as we were driving back to the DMV that they would probably find some other reason to not give me a driver's license this time-- like I arrived too close to closing time or something.  Scott said he had an easier time getting into the military than I have had trying to get a Wisconsin driver's license.

So we get back to the DMV.  I wait in line again and approach the counter with all my documentation.  At this point, my third attempt to get a Wisconsin driver's license, I have:

my original birth certificate
my valid Ohio driver's license
an original social security card
a utility bill with my name and current address on it
an original marriage license (to substantiate my last name change)
the completed application for a Wisconsin driver's license

Can I please now get a Wisconsin driver's license?

No I cannot.  The camera to take pictures for driver's licenses wasn't working.

The initial reaction in my head was, "Are you sh*tting me?"

So I still don't have a Wisconsin driver's license.  After spending nearly the entire afternoon of my 41st birthday in the DMV, still no Wisconsin license.  I'll have to go back again yet another time.  It will be my FOURTH attempt to get a driver's license here.  I believe it probably was easier for Scott to get in the military.

2 comments:

gregcols said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gregcols said...

Wow, that really sucks. U have more patience then I would EVER have. :)

November 21, 2010 6:03 PM