Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Great Wolf Lodge

Remember this post?  The Dells

The Wisconsin Dells is a major Midwestern tourist spot.  It's a fascinating place.  It's unreal to me that this place is plopped down right in the middle of Wisconsin.  Bizarre to me, but immensely popular to thousands and thousands of others who flock to this place in the summer from across the globe.  Seriously.  I've heard The Dells is a vacation destination for many Europeans.  I don't really get it, but it's not up to me to get. 

I was up in The Dells today for work.  I was with one of my staff assisting with conducting interviews for direct care positions.  The staff person I was with had reserved meeting space at The Great Wolf Lodge for the interviews as it is located close to the area from which we are recruiting staff and we don't have an office in that area.  My staff who reserved the space loves The Great Wolf.  He and his family have a big family reunion every year in The Dells and they always stay at The Great Wolf.

While I was there, I just had to take pictures.  I just had to.  Let the bizarro begin....

Here is the entry way to The Great Wolf lodge.



Like many things in The Dells, there is an obvious Native American theme--- as evidenced by the Totem Poles out front of The Great Wolf.  Here is a close up of the entry way.



This is what you see when you enter into the main lobby.



Those are a bunch of antlers to the right.  Are you feelin' me yet on the bizarro tip?

This is another shot in the main lobby.  It's the customer service desk where guests check in.  The picture following is a very large moose over a fireplace in the lobby.   



Yep.  A very large moose.


List of creepy things:
1.  Really long finger nails that curl.
2.  People who can flip their eye lids inside out.   
3.  Taxidermy.

The Great Wolf, and most of the big resorts in The Dells, have indoor water parks.  It's off season, so the water park at The Great Wolf was empty, but I did get a few shots of the area.



All the decor in The Great Wolf was true to the theme.



Even the carpet fit the theme.  I assume this carpet is a special order??


I didn't get to go into any of the rooms, but I took this shot off a poster that shows what the condos for rent in The Great Wolf look like.


Oh my.  This ain't the Waldorf Astoria.  Well, actually, that's a good thing since the Waldorf Astoria has bed bugs.

Even the signage in the hotel fit right in with the theme.


The Great Wolf is a massive place.  Here are a few shots of the outside.  The first one is the section of the resort with the condominiums.  The second is the section of the regular rooms.


I tried to get a picture of the outside of the water park, but it didn't turn out very good.  I took it from my car while stopped at a traffic light that didn't stay red very long.


See that big round thing?  What the hell??  What the hell happens in there???  Whatever it is, I'm certain I'm too old and too fat to find out.  Really, I'm fine with that.  I don't want to know.  I feel queasy just looking at it.

The Great Wolf, like many resorts, is set up so that pretty much anything a tourist wants to do is right there on grounds.  There is a boutique, several restaurants, a bar, an arcade, and........the most redeeming thing about The Great Wolf...........


...a spa.  And not just a spa, an Aveda spa.  Ahhhhhh.  I could smell the aroma before I even saw it. 

So, there you have it.  The Great Wolf Lodge.  Save the Aveda spa, it lived up to every bizarro expectation I had.  It seems like the kind of place that should be featured in a Chevy Chase vacation movie.

No comments: