Thursday, October 9, 2008

I need to vent....

...about Sarah Palin. I'm obsessing on it since the vice presidential "debate" last night.

1. I have decided that everything about Sarah Palin offends me.

2. I am blown away by commentary in the media about Sarah Palin's performance in the "debate" exceeding expectations. The only reason she exceeded expectations is because she didn't debate! (Hence my reason for putting the word "debate" in quotes.) How many times, when Joe Biden raised an issue, did Sarah Palin respond by changing the subject? It was so obvious that she needed to stick to her talking points. It came across as so scripted. That's just what we need- the potential future (vice) president only being able to put her thoughts together with practice and a script. To be blunt, and I don't even mean this to be hateful, mean or nasty: I think Sarah Palin just isn't very bright.

3. I cannot put into words the depth of my offense when people remark about how Sarah Palin appeals to women voters. Which women voters? All the ones that belong to the NRA? I hate the opinion some people have that there is one collective "women voters". There is as much diversity in terms of education, income, life experience, etc. etc. etc. among women as there is among people in general. It might be true that Sarah Palin appeals to some women, but which women would those be? It offends me people suggest that all women think alike just because we are women. I am a women and I think it's already obvious that I don't relate to Sarah Palin. If I ever do, will someone please shoot me?

4. I am horrified at the thought of Sarah Palin meeting with foreign dignitaries. She is a total hillbilly! Can you imagine her in a meeting with a foreign dignitary, where many times there are already strong negative opinions about the status of women and where there are strict customs to be respected and followed, and Sarah Palin popping off a "Darn it, let me tell ya....." Is that what the American people want? A (vice) president that uses the word "ya" instead of "you"? I read somewhere that she has a "folksy" appeal. What?? NO THANKS! I'll pass on a (vice) president who is "folksy". How about intelligent, experienced, and well versed in foreign policy instead?

5. I am also deeply offended that Sarah Palin thinks she is in a position to dog Barack Obama. I mean, really. She can't be serious can she? He is highly intelligent and Harvard educated. He has forgotten way more than Sarah Palin will ever know about US history, the US government, and foreign policy. She needs to back up off her insults of Barack because she doesn't hold a candle to him. (I'm saying that and I don't even think Barack Obama should be president! Although I will concede that he is a much, much, much, much, much, much, much better choice than John McCain.)

6. While I could go on and on, I am going to end with this: One of the things that bothered me the most was at the end when the families were socializing on stage. Sarah Palin held her baby for a while, then she handed him to one of her fairly young daughters to hold. At the end, Sarah and her husband were walking towards the back of the stage, exiting, and that little girl was walking behind them both holding that baby that look to be about 1/2 her size. Did anyone notice that and feel bothered by it? I was like, why the hell are there 2 parents right there but they are making their kid hold their other kid? To me, that subtly spoke volumes about Sarah Palin's true value system, and it's one that I don't care for.

I thought one of the best parts of the "debate" was when Joe Biden finally called Sarah Palin out on calling herself and John McCain "mavericks". I am so over that. I thought Joe Biden did a good job of factually slamming the whole maverick concept. Is a maverick what we need in Washington? Wasn't Bush kind of a maverick when it came to the war in Iraq, and we see what that has gotten us. I would prefer a president who is thoughtful, intelligent, and reasonable over some loose cannon who thinks it cool to be considered a maverick. Sarah Palin ain't no maverick. She is an idiot. She is an over-confident, stupid hillbilly. I don't have anything against stupid people or hillbillies. But stupid hillbillies who are overconfident are scary and if Sarah Palin and John McCain get elected to the White House I think I might move to Canada.

5 comments:

smjoseph said...

hi honey

ReneeK said...

go julie go!!!

JenniSpiel said...

Julie, I feel like I have just found a long lost sister! :) You are not alone my friend, there are many of us women out there who are OUTRAGED at McCain's choice for VP! All American's should be outraged if they are paying attention. I find McCain and Palin both to be appalling and I am amazed I've made it these last few weeks without throwing something at my tv! Not sure if you watch Real Time With Bill Maher on HBO or Countdown with Keith Olbermann on MSNBC, but I find they definitely calm me down when the drinks and smokes don't suffice. Hang in there sister! It's almost over. :)

Erica Jean said...

Julie,

Keep illuminating the world wide web with your wisdom!

ginabean said...

Go Julie!
Sarah Palin insults my intelligence as a woman, a mother, and a professional. It does go to show that in the good old USA, anyone can become anything. God help us all if she becomes the next VP!