Monday, July 4, 2011

Little Old Girl

July is the month of Rudy's birthday.  I don't know exactly what day she was born, but I'm pretty sure it was sometime in July 1997.  As a new born puppy, she was dumped in a field on the south side of Columbus and left to die.  I don't understand how people can be so cruel.  Fortunately, someone found her and she eventually made her way to me.  She was so tiny when I first got her, I could hold her in the palm of my hand.  She had to be bottle fed and she loved being swaddled in a baby blanket and held. 

Fast forward to July 2011.  Rudy turns 14 years old this month.  She has gotten so gray.  She can't hear any more.  Her legs don't work very well sometimes.  She gets confused and her vision is compromised.  It's so hard watching her decline.  I honestly can't imagine my life without her, but I know that day is inevitable.  I've loved that little girl with my whole heart for nearly 1/3 of my life.  Scott is crazy about her too.  We often say this affectionately about her:  "I love that little old girl."

When Scott and I went to The Tornado Room for his birthday dinner, he ordered a ridiculously large bone-in rib-eye steak.  We brought the bone home as a treat for Rudy.  She was one happy dog gnawing on that thing out in the yard.  

 
Happy Birthday Rudy-Patoody.

1 comment:

ReneeH said...

Happy Birthday Rudy!