Sunday, February 20, 2011

We Had Company!

Two weekends ago, Scott and I had (local) company to our  house for the first time.  We were both excited and a bit nervous.  I love to entertain, so it felt good to get the house cleaned up, prepare food, get out my party dishes, platters, etc.  That was the excitement part.  Getting ready was actually fun.  I love the way the house looks, feels, and smells when it's white-glove clean and I enjoyed getting food and drinks ready because my party 'stuff' is more accessible here since we have so much storage.  I can actually get to things I want with ease.  How nice.  The nervousness came from having people over that we don't know very well; my friend, Kori, from work and her husband.  I guess I know Kori pretty well from working with her for the past year, but I had only met her husband in passing.  Scott didn't know either one of them.

Scott and I spent pretty much the whole day cleaning the house and getting ready.  (Scott cleaned all the bathrooms.  What a great guy.)  We had the house looking pretty good.  Candles going.  Big, roaring fire in the fireplace.  Lights dimmed.  This is a great house for entertaining.

After the house and the fixin's were ready, we waited nervously for Kori and her husband to arrive.  Admittedly, I kept thinking that I wished my friends from "home" were coming over-- people I know, have a history with, can relax around.  It had been a long, long time since I had anyone to my home that I didn't already know pretty well (unless a "new" person came to a party at our house in Columbus with someone I already knew, which is a different scenario.)

Turns out, we had a great time!  Kori and her husband are loads of fun.  We thoroughly enjoyed spending time with both of them.  We ate.  We drank.  We laughed.

They brought over a game called Catch Phrase.  I had never played this game before.  I don't think we exactly followed the rules, but the way we played it was so much fun.  I'm going to have to buy the game for myself to have on hand for future gatherings. 

As the evening wore on and the drinks kept flowing, we really got to laughing about a whole host of things.  Let me back up for a minute here.  A friend of mine was previously, briefly married to a guy from the Dominican Republic.  This guy owned a souvenir shop there.  My friend brought me back a number of things from the shop, including a carved, wooden statue of a penis.  This was before I met Scott.  I think the penis statue is kind of cool.  Scott hates it. 

I had just unpacked the wooden penis a couple days before Kori and her husband came over.  (yes, believe it or not, we are still unpacking)  Don't ask me how, but the wooden penis ended up coming up in conversation while Kori and James were here.  Not only did it come up in conversation, it also ended up as a center piece on a tray of treats Kori had brought over.
 

I giggle every time I look at that picture.  You know you are with some people who like to laugh and have a good time when the wooden penis statue ends up as a center piece.

It ended up being  such a great evening.  It felt so good to laugh and socialize.  I didn't realize how much I have missed doing that.  Entertaining is one of my most favorite things to do.  Having company revitalized me.  Scott felt the same way.

We definitely hope to spend more time with Kori and James.  I'm thinking once the weather breaks for spring we'll have them over for brunch.  Have a little food.  Some Mimosas.  Yeah.....that sounds nice.

3 comments:

Jeano said...

I like how the flower in the painting on the wall seems to be growing out of the top of the penis : )
Glad you had fun.

Julie J. said...

I didn't even notice how the flowers are seemingly growing out of the top of the penis, until you pointed it out Jeano. That makes the picture even funnier.

ReneeH said...

You are the hostess with the mostess - providing food, drink and flowering penises. what more could you ask for.