Monday, February 14, 2011

2010- Year in Review- Part 6

June 2010

As mentioned in the previous post (the one before last), Scott had been in Madison visiting at the end of May.  He left on June 1, the day my friend, Cathy, arrived.  Cathy and I work for the same company.  She came to town on business, but we found time to have a little bit of fun, too.  First stop on her first evening here was Eno Vino, which I have written about in previous posts.  I love Eno Vino.  Swanky.  Just how I like it. 



Cathy is a creative person.  One of her creative outlets is quilting.  Before she came to Madison, she looked on-line and found a quilting store she wanted to visit:  Stitcher's Crossing.  Cute little place on the outside.


I don't quilt, but I wish I did.  I have a deep love of fabric.  Stitcher's Crossing was a fabric lover's dream.


I appreciate traditional quilts, but prefer a bit more contemporary styles.  Like the one below.  Isn't that quilt amazing?  It was hanging up on display in Stitcher's Crossing.  I wish I could make something like that.


Cathy and I hit a few other spots:  a scrapbook store, Savoir Faire (one of my favorite shops), and a happy hour spot (or two).  I thoroughly enjoyed our time together.  It was nourishment for my soul.

June was also the month when I traveled to La Crosse, Wisconsin for the first time.  The company I work for has an office there.  La Crosse is located on the western side of the state, on the border of Minnesota.  It's a haul to get there.  On the way back, I traveled the scenic route.  Absolutely beautiful, rolling countryside.  Wisconsin is pretty state.  No arguing about that.


Scott came to visit again in June, mostly so we could do some aggressive house-hunting in Madison.  It was also his birthday on June 22.  We went to Johnny Del Monico's for (an expensive) dinner.  This is Scott looking in his card, trying to figure out where the birthday money is.  Uh....yeah.... the birthday money is going to pay for the $50.00 steak he ordered.



At the end of his visit, I traveled with Scott back to Ohio for his graduation from the International Union of Operating Engineers apprenticeship program.  Graduating from this program was a respectable accomplishment.  Typically it's a 4-year program.  Scott developed good working relationships with the guys in the union and also established himself as an outstanding apprentice.  As a result, the union guys were willing to work with him to allow him to graduate early so he could move to Wisconsin to be with me.  He graduated from the program in 3 years.  He had to work hard to do it.  Lots of classroom training time.  Lots of hours at job sites.  When he is focused on something, Scott has an unwaivering determination.

The graduation ceremony was a big deal.  It was held at the Hyatt on Capitol Square in downtown Columbus.  There was a nice meal.  Entertainment (comedian).  Ceremony.  Everyone got put up in rooms in the hotel for the night.  It was a classy affair and I was very proud of my husband.  Below is a picture of the graduating class and the next picture is Scott with some of his favorite instructors from the apprenticeship program.



After all the pomp and circumstance was over for the evening, Scott and I had a couple of drinks in one of the hotel bars.  The church below is right across the street from the hotel.  We could see it out the window at the bar.  What a magnificent structure.



It was strange to go home and see a 'For Sale' sign in the yard of our house.  While I knew it had to be done, I still didn't want to sell our house on Bendelow.  Part of me was screaming inside, "no!"  Looking back on it now, I still feel a sense of sadness.  We loved that house, that neighborhood, being close to family and friends.  Even though we don't live there anymore, when I think about that house, it still feels like home to me.



I had no idea when I left after that visit in June that it would be the last time I would ever be in that house, the place I consider home.  I never went back.

I feel a profound sense of sadness and homesickness as I write this.

One day at a time.  Breathe in.  Breathe out.

No comments: