Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Yet Another Cool Place

As much as I have hissed and spit about my move to Madison, I have conceded all along that this is an ultra cool town.  There are so many hip, trendy spots here.  While I love Columbus, Ohio because it's home to me and the place I feel most comfortable, Columbus doesn't have anything on Madison in terms of flair.  Easton?  Perpetrators. Madison?  Dammit-- give me a pair of Birkenstocks and a tree to hug.

Tonight, Scott and I checked out a place called Barriques, which is a coffee shop and wine bar.

http://www.barriquesmarket.com/

The outside of the Barriques we went to (there are about 5 of them around town; we went to the one in Fitchburg) is non-descript in a strip mall kind of way.....



....but the inside is warm and inviting.  There are wooden beams and exposed brick.  The photo below is the counter where you can order wine by the glass, a variety of traditional and blended coffee drinks, beer, deli foods, and desserts.  It's somewhat reminiscent of Stauf's in Grandview (for those of you from Columbus who read this blog), but to me it's better because of the wine bar element.  You know I do like my cocktails.



Scott had a micro brew; I had a glass of wine; and we shared a rockslide brownie.  Oops.  As usual, I took a bite before I snapped the picture.


There are a few traditional wooden tables and chairs inside Barriques, as well as some cushioned lounge chairs and leather sofas.  There are also tables set up outside.  Unfortunately, I didn't get any good pictures of the indoor or outdoor seating areas.

We did get some good shots of the impressive wine selection in the store.





Scott, of course, took the best, most artsy picture of all.  He is quite the talented photographer (Mr. Creative/I-Write-With-My-Left-Hand).  Seriously, he may have missed his calling.  He is amazingly talented in a whole host of creative ways and I don't think he is even remotely aware of it.  Isn't this a cool picture?


 
In addition to the huge wine selection, Barriques has a wide variety of speciality beers.


How about this one for $13.29  a four-pack?


Damn.  For $13.29 a four-pack, it better pour itself and run the vacuum cleaner.

Barriques also has gift items, specialty foods for purchase, and a number of very nice cheeses-- some to the tune of 20 bucks/pound.  Hmmmm.... let's see..... if someone could get 20 bucks/pound for me they would get......well.....I think it would be about a million dollars.




This next photo is of a bricked archway in the store.  Pretty neat.


This is the coffee section of the store.  I got a little glare from the evening sun coming through the window on this one.


Bags of coffee on the floor; quite rustic.


It wouldn't be a mid-west coffee shop without posters hanging inside the front door and local-alternative newspapers for the taking, right?



The beer Scott ordered at Barriques was Doppelbock (not to be confused with Doppelganger-- did I spell that right?  does anyone watch How I Met Your Mother??)


I'm generally not a big fan of these types of beers, but I had a sip of Scott's and it was quite good.   Scott picked up a 6-pack to bring back to the apartment.  Speaking of blonde beers, I remember a time in Santa Barbara, California when I was hanging with my BFF Eric and we were drinking Santa Barbara Blonde beer.  That was a great day; hanging with my best friend, having a few beers, being in Santa Barbara--- Santa Barbara is the kind of place that, if you've never been there, you can't even imagine it.

But, back to Madison, Wisconsin in the Midwest.  A far cry from Santa Barbara.

Barriques was a good stop.  I have really enjoyed the many new things I've tried since I've been in Madison-- including Barriques.  It exceeded my expectations.  While there, I was comfortable and relaxed.  It had a great atmosphere.


I enjoyed being at Barriques with Scott, my husband, companion, and best friend like no other.  But, I could also envision myself having a nice, relaxing time there with some of my girlfriends--  like the ones who always seem to find a way to make time for me when I come home to visit.  Here's to you Renee, Jeano, Kim and Renee.... once I get settled here, you all need to make a road trip and hang with me in Madison.  It's a good time, waiting to happen.


I love my girls!!  The picture above, taken when I was home in Columbus this past weekend, will always make me laugh.

Eric, Stefanie--- once I have a place to call home you need to bring your behinds from Cali and Flo-Rida to visit too.  We'll put Barriques on the "to do" list if (when) you come to visit.

1 comment:

Jeano said...

Those are four good lookin' women!