Monday, July 30, 2012

Trip to Chicago

If we are friends on Facebook, you already know I went to Chicago a couple weeks ago to get my hair done at the Vidal Sassoon salon.  Over-indulgent, I know.  But it was a fun trip. 

Instead of driving all the way into the city (about a 2 hour drive from Stoughton), we drove to Elgin, IL and took a train into Chicago.  I had never ridden on a train before.


We had some time before boarding, so we stopped in this joint near the train station for a beer.


It's rare that I go into a bar and feel uncomfortable, but I did in this place.  There were about 6 people already in there at the bar seriously f*cked up. It was 11 AM.  They all turned and stared when we walked in.  Now I'm not going to say I've never been f*cked up before 11 AM before, but I'm guessing these folks are that way every day.  Scott and I had one quick beer and exited.

We went into this restaurant next because we both needed to use the bathroom and neither of us wanted to in the other joint with the scary people.


El Faro was cute inside and I suspect they serve up some good, authentic Mexican food.  We weren't hungry, but we did order a bottle of water in a lame attempt to compensate for using their restroom.  They didn't seem to mind.


Next it was time to board the train.








This was the first level of seating on the train.


On the way there, we sat in the upper level.  (that's me!)



The love of my life and cute boy Scottie looking out the window as we made our way towards the windy city.

Arriving in Chicago.

Immediately upon arrival, we got a cab and scoped out the location of the salon.  I didn't get a very good picture of the outside of it.  It's to the immediate right of the self-park sign in this picture.



We had a little bit of time to kill before my appointment and by this time were ready for another brew.  We went in a place close to the salon in the interest of time.  I don't remember what the name of it was.  It wasn't a bar.  It was a cafeteria style restaurant.  They were serving up some southern food in there that looked and smelled good as hell.  We didn't eat, but we did grab a quick cold one.  Here is the inside of the place.  The people who were eating in this place were throwing down, for real.


Scott and I found a small table in the front with lounge chairs.  Perfect.


I don't  know how it's possible for a Miller Lite in a bottle to be flat, but the one I got was.  Scott, being the gentleman and caretaker to me that he is, went back to exchange it.  Scott's chair without Scott.....


Scott's chair with Scott......


I do love that sweet boy.  I smile every time I look at a picture of him, even when he's doing "bottoms up".

After 1 brew, it was time for me to go to my appointment.  The Vidal Sassoon salon was less intimidating than I thought it would be.  The people were nice enough and it looked pretty much like I thought it would on the inside.



After $237.00 (before the tip....gulp), I left the Vidal Sassoon salon with a great haircut.  Ahhhh....thank goodness.  You can't get a decent hair cut in Wisconsin as far as I can tell.  There is a lot of bad hair up here.

While I was in the salon, my husband got tipsy on Old Fashioned's at various bars in the area.  I couldn't really be mad at him.  I, too, love Old Fashioned's and he did go with me, after all, to Chicago for my over-indulgent hair day.

I left the salon and hooked back up with Scott in perfect time to get to Union Station and hop on the train back to Elgin.  I think from the time we walked out of the door of our house until the time we walked back into the house was about 10 hours.  It was kind of a long day, but we had fun throughout the experience.  And, I got a good hair cut.  Mission accomplished.

No comments: