Sunday, October 23, 2011

Party, Party, Party

Annually, the company I work for celebrates employees who have been with the organization for 4 or more years.  This year, these parties took on a whole new life because we also incorporated celebrating the company's 35th anniversary. Wisconsin is one of the largest states in the company.  I think we are the 3rd largest out of the 14 states where we operate.  Not only are we large in terms of revenue generated, the number of people we support (about 250) and the number of employees we have (over 400), we are the most geographically diverse of all the states.  Our operations are really spread out here in Wisconsin.  Because of that, we didn't have one big bash to celebrate 4+ employment anniversaries and the company's 35th year in business.  These events were held across the state in the different areas where we do business.  So, while most Senior Directors in the company attended one party in their respective states in 2011, I attended 8 of them.  Between the actual parties and the travel associated with getting to the events, these parties have taken up an extraordinary amount of time this year-- all since June, when the first party was held in Sheboygan.

Because we were also celebrating the company's 35th anniversary, one of the top 4 people in the organization attended every party held in the entire company.  Those top 4 included the 2 owners of the company, the President/Chief Executive Officer, or the Vice President/Chief Operating Officer.  For 7 of the 8 parties in Wisconsin, the VP/COO attended because he resides and offices in this state.  The one party he did not attend was the one in Milwaukee.  The owner of the company came to that party.

First thing upon my arrival at the Milwaukee party was stopping at the registration table.  While there, I was approached by a person we support in Milwaukee (keep in mind, the people we support have developmental disabilities).  This person, whom I'll call Joe, knew the owner of the company would be coming to the party and was quite excited about it, and that's putting in mildly.  Joe had a lot of questions for me about the owner.  Here is how part of the conversation went:

Joe:   How do you think he (owner) is going to get here?  In a limousine??
Me:  No.  I don't think he'll come in a limousine.  He'll probably come from the airport in a rental car.
Joe:  (with astonishment)  Wow!  He can afford a rental car?? 
Me:  (laughing a little)  Yes, Joe, I'm pretty sure he can afford a rental car.
(there was a pause for a few seconds.)
Joe:  Can he fire you?

OK.  I'm done answering questions now.

As if 8 of these 4+/35th anniversary parties across the state wasn't enough, there was a 9th party held yesterday.  It was not a 4+/35th party, but rather an open house at a program we started up this past March.  So, on yet another Saturday, I hopped in the car and off I went to a party.

Yesterday was an absolutely gorgeous fall day.  Just beautiful.  The program (or site or house, depending upon your lingo) where the open house was held is way out in the country, up somewhat close to The Dells.  We typically don't have programs located that far out in the boonies, but this program was put there by design for reasons I won't go into here.  Let me just say, it's for every one's protection-- including the community.

Here is a picture of the setting.


As you can see, there isn't much around the place but countryside.  The views around there are breathtaking.  And it is so quiet.  Here is another shot of the area.


When you drive in deep country like this, you get up close and personal with country things.  Like cows.  There is an intersection on the way to the program where the pasture the cows graze in comes right up to the road.  I stopped at a T in the road and here is how close I was to some cows.


That's a great big ol' cow in the picture above. Here is a close up.



Isn't this little cow's face so funny?  I don't think I had ever seen a cow with a black and white face before.



If I had to sacrifice another Saturday to attend a work event, at least it was a lovely day for a road trip and the countryside was magnificent. Seriously, though, after 9 work "parties" since June (with 4 of them held on Saturdays), I'm glad to be done with these.  It's just been all party, party, party.  I'm officially partied out.

1 comment:

ReneeK said...

Great pictures! Now I know where you've been. : ) I heart those cows!