Monday, January 10, 2011

Trip to IKEA

This past Saturday, Scott and I went to IKEA in Chicago.  It's only about an hour and a half from where we live, so not a bad drive.  It was cold but bright and sunny; a nice winter day for a road trip.

I have decided that I like shopping at IKEA better in theory than in reality.  For an ADD kid like me, it's just too much.  Too big.  Too much stuff.  Way too many people.

I don't know how the IKEA in Chicago (Schaumburg actually) compares to other IKEA stores, but damn it's huge.


We got there right when it opened at 10 AM.  At first, it wasn't too bad.  But let me tell you, it filled up with people fast. 

We saw this vehicle in the parking lot:


A U-Haul.  Someone came prepared to buy.

Scott and I went with a purpose in mind:  finding workspace furniture for my arts/crafts area in the basement.  I got overwhelmed and was ready to get the hell out of there.  Before we left, though, I picked out quite a few things.  Here is Scott with our load in the warehouse.  


In addition to the goods on the flat cart above, we also had a regular shopping cart full of stuff.  I got a desk, table, storage cabinets, shelving, lights, storage containers.  I was doubtful that we could fit it all in our vehicle, but we did.  There wasn't an inch to spare.


I'm not sure when Scott will have time to assemble everything for me, but I'm pretty excited about getting my workspace together.

On the way back from Chicago, we stopped in Rockford, Illinois.  There is a Lowe's in Rockford (we don't have one in Madison).  I had gotten Scott a couple things from there for Christmas that he wanted to return.  As we were leaving Lowe's, we saw this in the parking lot.


It was a car in the parking lot that had seat covers that looked like the members of Kiss.  All 4 band members appeared:  the picture above shows the 2 on the front seats.  The back seats had covers, also, of the other 2 band members.

Now, I would never want these in my car but it did make me laugh.  And compelled me to take a picture.

No comments: