Friday, September 17, 2010

Suspicious Find

As most of you who read this blog know, my husband and I lived in different states for 8 months this year, from 12/31/09- 8/31/09.

We finally re-united, merged into one state and are under the same roof again.  The full move from Ohio to Wisconsin was a big one.  We have a sh*t load of boxes to unpack.  I have the essentials in place.  The rest of it, I am working on a little at a time. 

When I moved to Wisconsin back in December, I brought only basic stuff with me- just the stuff that I would need to get by.  I left almost everything at our home in Columbus.  So, there are a lot of things that I have been separated from for months.  As a result, I find myself saying "Oh yeah, I forgot about this" quite a bit as I encounter things when I'm unpacking, things like certain articles of clothing, some kitchen utensils, etc.  While I may have forgotten about certain things, I immediately recognize them when I see them.

The other day, I was unpacking a box and came across this.


What a cute little striped Paul Mitchell bag. Only I didn't recognize it.  It's not mine.  So of course I opened it to see what was inside.



Here is a sample of the bounty I found inside the cute little striped Paul Mitchell bag that isn't mine.  



Ahem.  Yes.  An assortment of female hair accessories were inside the cute little striped Paul Mitchell bag that isn't mine.  OK.  Have you seen my hair lately??  For the past decade it's been a short, close cut to my head.  I would have absolutely no use for pony-tail holders and hair clips.  I have no hair to put in a clip and I couldn't put my hair in a pony-tail if I tried. 

WTF.  Really?  I've been living apart from my husband for 8 months and as I'm unpacking boxes now that we are living together again I find a bag of female hair accessories that aren't mine?  That's super messed up.

But it doesn't end there.

I found this in the same box with the cute little striped Paul Mitchell bag, filled with women's hair accessories, that isn't mine.



A big ol' fat round curling iron.  Again, have you seen my hair in the last 10 years?  It would be impossible for me to use a big ol' fat round curling iron.

But it doesn't end there either.

I also found this in the same box with the cute little striped Paul Mitchell bag filled with women's hair accessories and the big ol' fat round curling iron.  




A travel size hair dryer.

Again, WTF.  Really?  What-- has some women with long locks been traveling to my home in Columbus to be with my husband while I've been struggling on my own up here in America's Dairy Land?  Sure seems that way based on my suspicious find.

Needless to say, I had a few questions for my husband.  When I showed him what I found, he responded with a nonchalant, "That stuff isn't yours?"

I think my reaction to him had a tone something along the lines of, "No mother f*er, that stuff isn't mine", which I think may not be an unreasonable reaction when one finds some other woman's stuff while unpacking boxes after living apart from her husband for 8 months  I was thinking that he better come up with something good (and quick) besides, "That stuff isn't yours?"

Duh.  Has he seen my hair lately? 

Here is his explanation for the cute little striped Paul Mitchell bag filled with women's hair accessories, the big ol' fat curling iron and the travel size hair dryer.  He said the buyers of our house in Columbus came by the day before he left to move up here.  It was actually just the woman/wife of the couple who purchased the home.  She had her daughter and her realtor with her.  They did a final walk-through in the house before the closing of the sale scheduled for the next morning.  There was nothing in the house at the time.  It was totally empty as the moving truck was loaded up and ready to go.  Scott said as he walked through the house with the group, they looked in all the drawers, closets, etc.  When they got to the master bathroom, they opened the doors on the vanity.  Then, allegedly, they pulled out a drawer at the very bottom of the vanity, kind of tucked underneath it right at the floor level. 

Scott said he never knew there was a drawer down there.  Neither did I and I used that bathroom for 3 years.

But, that's what he said.  The buyer, her daughter and her realtor opened this secret drawer at the bottom of the vanity and found these things.  He said they teased him and said, "Good thing we found this stuff- your wife would have been mad if you forgot it."

Yeah.  Good thing.  Good thing I ran into some other woman's stuff as I'm unpacking boxes after living apart from my husband for 8 months.  But, Scott was emphatic about his story.  He said, "Call her.  Call Mrs. Patton (buyer) and ask her."  As further evidence to support his claim, he said that the box I found this suspicious stuff in was the very last, last-minute box that he packed.  It had other things in it that one would expect to pack at the last minute.  For example, also in the box was the shower curtain that he threw in there after he took it down following his last shower right before he left to drive up here.

I kept pointing out that, even if there was a plausible explanation, he had to admit it was a suspicious (and messed up) find.  He just kept saying, "Call her.  Call Mrs. Patton and ask her."

I didn't call Mrs. Patton.  I actually believed Scott's explanation.  I knew the couple that owned that home before me and she (the woman/wife in the couple) had the hair and seemed like the type to have these kinds of hair things.  She obviously forgot the stuff when she moved and not surprising given the drawer is clearly not obvious.  Since I never even knew the drawer existed, it made sense that her hair stuff would still be in there.

Even though I believe him, one has to admit that it was a suspicious (and messed up) find.  I still have about 100 boxes to unpack.  I'm left to wonder if I'll find anything else that's suspect.  Maybe another woman's panties? 
    

No comments: