Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Atomic Koi

Since I got myself back on the roll of writing posts about food and drink, I've decided to keep going with it.  Obviously I have a lot of material on the subject matter.  Sad to say, perhaps.

Atomic Koi is a funky bar in an area of town called Fitchburg.  (Click here for link to Atomic Koi website)  Fitchburg was actually my first choice of areas in which to buy a house/live.  It's centrally located in Madison and close to my job.  Scott and I looked at a number of houses in the area but, for one reason or another, none fit the bill.  Unfortunately.  One house that we looked at a couple times was located close to a newly developed area with a library, coffee shop, condos, pizza shop, and Atomic Koi.  We would have been in walking distance to all these things.  I would have loved that so much.  Not to be though, which makes me feel a little sad. 

The picture below is the entrance into Atomic Koi.  It's actually taken from the inside of the bar looking back towards the door.  Stone.  Wood.  Metal.  Very Feng Shui.  


There are a number of different kinds of seating areas.  How cute is the one pictured below??  I love it.



Another seating section.  I dig the hanging lights.



And yet another seating area.  This one by a small fireplace with an interesting, high-backed L-shaped couch.



Atomic Koi has a cool, retro feel to it.  Not only is that evidenced by the seating sections shown above, it was further evidenced by the fact that there was a Ms. Pac Man game in the joint.  It was the table version, where you sit in a chair to play and can play against a competitor who sits across from you.  Remember that?  I never got into video games much as a kid, probably because I wasn't allowed to play them.  Every now and then I would sneak a game of Ms. Pac Man at the TG&Y, but I had to sneak to do it. 


There was an ATM machine inside Atomic Koi. This is a photo of the sign on top of the machine. 


I had a very fine Cosmopolitan, with a twist of lime just the way I like it-- all curly.  You can kind of see it hanging around down there in the bottom of the glass. 



The delicate, curly twist in the Cosmo from Atomic Koi was in stark contract to a Cosmo I had at Madison's downtown.



That ain't no twist.  That's a boat.

Did you happen to watch the Jon Stewart clip on my "I Love Jon Stewart" post?  If not, you should check it out.  It's so flippin' funny.  Just click here to go to the post and then click on the link to the video.  Anyhow, in his very funny clip about Appholes, Jon Stewart mentions a Harvey Wallbanger.  Just saying Harvey Wallbanger makes me giggle.  I don't know why.  Back to my third grade sense of humor, I guess.  When I came across this on the Atomic Koi drink menu, I of course giggled.  I didn't order a Harvey Wallbanger though.  Maybe next time.

1 comment:

Jeano said...

hee hee, you said wallbanger