Thursday, February 25, 2010

What I Like About Madison

OK. So it's not all bad. There are a few things I like about Madison, including the fact that there are some really cool places here (and I'm not talking about the cheese house with the big mouse on top- from a previous post). Scott and I hit a few downtown spots the other evening. The photo below is part of the seating area in the Opus Lounge. We were there early, so the place is mostly empty. Very chic.



The Opus Lounge is not only cozy, they serve some interesting drinks. I got a "sampler platter".


What made me laugh about what I just posted is that someone I know has a blog and she recently posted pictures of chocolate covered pretzels she made. Me? I think pretzels-schmetzels. I'm posting pictures of martini's!

What may be even more funny to me is the next photo, which is the "sampler platter" from above after I had at it.


While I was at the Opus Lounge, I kept thinking my friends Greg, Renee, Eric, and Stefanie would love it. Maybe they will come and visit me so we can go....

This is a photo of the artwork behind the bar at the Opus Lounge.


Before we went to the Opus Lounge, we had a drink at Madison's, which is also a very cool place downtown. I love it that Madison has a vibrant downtown. In Columbus, there was virtually no downtown life at all. It had gotten a little better in recent years with the development of the Arena District. But still, people mostly go to downtown Columbus or the Arena District areas when there is an event (sports, concerts, etc.) In Madison, people go downtown just because.


Here are a few pictures of the outside of Madison's and the Opus Lounge. I think downtown Madison has a lot of visual appeal. This is the Opus Lounge, which is off the Capital square in downtown.



This is Madison's, across the street from the Opus Lounge.



This is the Majestic, where they have concerts of mostly off-the-beaten-path type artists and groups. I love the old theater look of it. This place is also off the square downtown-- next to Madison's and across from the Opus Lounge.



Going back to the title of this post: What I like about Madison is the downtown is an interesting combination of urban and hippie. It is a much more dynamic downtown than what I was used to in either Columbus or Louisville. Madison is a cool place. There's no doubt about that.

2 comments:

ReneeK said...

It looks like a fun place. Portland, ME is cool like that. I can't wait to visit!!!

smjoseph said...

I really enjoyed my time at each one of those places. I can't wait to go back to some of those places, especially Opus Lounge...what a neat place.