Sunday, May 27, 2012

Velkommen

Stoughton Wisconsin, the little town where we live, is steeped in Norwegian heritage.  Each May, there is an entire weekend dedicated to Syttende Mai, which means May seventeenth--- the day the constitution of Norway was signed.  In the weeks leading up to the Syttende Mai celebration, businesses around town displayed Velkommen banners, which is Norwegian for "welcome".  Velkommen til Stoughton, as they say with fine Norwegian accents.

I couldn't find a good image of the Velkommen banner on-line.  The best I could find is on the float below.  And, yes, a whole bunch of people around this town during Syttende Mai weekend dress similar to how the kids on the float are dressed.  These people are seriously into Syttende Mai. 

(On a side note, as I looked around at people at the Syttende Mai celebration, I couldn't help but ask myself:  could Scott and I look any less Norwegian?  There are a lot of pale people around here with blonde hair and blue eyes....just  not in our  house.)

But, I digress.  Back to the Velkommen banner.  See below.

Stoughton High School Norwegian Dancers
flickr.com

I think it's nice that businesses around this little town display the Velkommen banners for Syttende Mai.  There was one business with a banner that caused me to raise an eyebrow though.  I couldn't get a picture of it because it was too windy and the banner kept moving, but I'm not sure how I feel about this particular Stoughton business displaying a Velkommen (welcome) banner:



legacy.com

It's a funeral home.

No comments: