Sunday, June 19, 2011

Eugster's



Since moving to Stoughton, we have often driven by a place in the country just outside of town called Eugster's Farm Market and Petting Farm.  We have been wanting to stop in for some time and see what it's all about, particularly since we have been intrigued by this big......thing.....out front.


Yesterday I wanted some fresh produce but didn't want to fight the crowd at the farmer's market downtown, so we decided to finally stop in at Eugster's.  We wanted to see what it is all about and maybe score some sweet corn or a zucchini while we were at it.

We had no luck on the produce tip.  I was actually quite disappointed.  Perhaps it's a little too early in the season. Even though there was virtually no produce to speak of, while there I saw a sign about bottle feeding baby goats.

You may not know this about me, but I love goats.  I don't know why.  I just think they are so funny.  An opportunity to bottle feed baby goats?  I'm in.

After paying 7 bucks for admission and a dollar for a bottle of milk, off we went.  We would soon learn that Eugster's is kind of scamming families with children and suckers like me because a buck gets you a bottle with this much milk...

 
...(can you see that little bit in the bottom?).....and little goats drink that milk fast.

It didn't take long for us to realize we were the only adults there who weren't accompanied by children.  Oh well.  There is no shame to our game.  We went full-speed ahead.

The first animals we saw as we started winding back through the petting farm were these peacocks.


Peacocks are fascinating creatures.  When I look at them, I find myself in awe of the diversity of the animal kingdom.

Next up, we saw some baby chickens.  I don't think I had ever seen a baby chicken before.  Usually I'm enjoying scrambled eggs or an omelet before they reach the "baby chicken" stage.  Baby chickens are so darn cute, though, and they scoot around so fast following their mama.


Around the corner from the baby chickens were turkeys.  If you read this blog, you know how I feel about turkeys.  Ugly m-f'ers.  They creep me out.


What doesn't creep me out are cute little pigs.



It was hot and humid yesterday, which apparently made this pig very tired.  There was a second pig in the pen with him, who was also laid out.  Scott had me laughing so hard.  He would make a snorting pig sound and every time he did those pigs would start snorting back at him.

Scott: snort-snort.
Pigs: snort-snort-snort.
Scott: snort-snort.
Pigs: snort-snort-snort.

The pigs wouldn't get up.  I guess that would be too much effort.  But they snorted right back, on cue, every time. 

Next to the pigs was a donkey.  Awwww. 

I'm not sure if you can see it in the picture, but the donkey's "toe nails" are painted.  A lady who was working there told Scott and me that the little Eugster girl paints the donkey's hoofs and puts ribbons in the hair of the miniature pony.

It looks like she must have painted the miniature pony's "toe nails" too.  It was so hot/humid that most of the animals had apparently laid in cedar chips to try to stay cool, so the chips were stuck to them.

Next up on our journey to the baby goats were a couple of cows.  I don't think I had ever seen a cow with long hair before.

The lady working there said this long haired cow rarely takes treats from humans.  He must have liked Scott because he took several treats right out of Scott's hand.

Communicating with the pigs.  Feeding the cow who rarely takes treats from humans.  Scott was, like, some kind of an animal whisperer yesterday.  He also gave this cute little cow a few treats.  Makes me feel bad for loving a good hamburger or a juicy steak.



A pen of sheep was across from the cows.  And then, finally, the baby goats.  In addition to the Eugster's overcharging for a dab of milk in a bottle, they also engage in mis-representation.  The goats weren't babies; they were miniature goats.  I like pretty much all goats, though, so I was fine with that.  Obviously these goats are accustomed to being fed by visitors because when Scott and I approached their area, they came on the run to the fence.


They poked their funny little goat heads through the fence, looking for the milk.

 
And when the bottle came out, they were crawling on top of each other to get to it.

That little dab of milk we paid a dollar for was gone in a flash.  Those goats loved it.  After the milk was gone, they tried eating Scott's shirt and shorts.


A posted sign gave fair warning.


Isn't this little goat Scott petted so cute???


I adore my husband.  He is such a good sport.  Remember this picture?


How many guys will put on a viking hat with blonde braids and let you take a picture?  At Eugster's, I asked Scott to get in this prop for a picture.  He did it without hesitation.


I love that sweet boy. He is even cuter than those miniature goats.

So, that was our big trip yesterday to Eugster's Farm Market and Petting Farm.  It's just more evidence that we are living like rock stars in Wisconsin.

No comments: