Friday, April 16, 2010

More Pictures from Scott's Visit

As I mentioned in the previous post, Scott and I had a great time during his most recent visit to Madison. The Tuesday he was here, we went to happy hour at a place called the Tuscany Grill, which is actually a bar in a hotel. I had been to the Tuscany Grill before with some people from work. They have "'Tini Tuesday", which is a play on words. It's essentially miniature (or teeny) Martini's ('tini's). Hence, Tini Tuesday. The menu of martini's at the Tuscany Grill is extensive. I think it's about 8 pages long and there are some very creative drink names, to say the least. When I had gone to the Tuscany Grill before, Kori (highlighted in a previous post) ordered the following martini off the menu.



Leave it to Kori to order a martini called Pussy Galore. I think she actually had 3 martini's that night. If I remember correctly, in addition to the Pussy Galore, she had a Dirty Girl Scout and a Double Fudge. Again, leave it to Kori. She's a funny one.

Scott and I didn't drink anything quite so....risque, but we did enjoy the Tuscany Grill. It's a cozy place, tucked right there in a hotel off of Fish Hatchery Road. Yes, Virginia, the road is named Fish Hatchery. I believe that's another, "Only in Wisconsin...."



Another fun spot Scott and I went to while he was in town is a Mexican restaurant on State Street called Frida's. If you follow this blog, you may remember that I have previous posts from places on State Street. It's a hip, cool area of town (there are many hip, cool areas of town in Madison). It's right downtown off of the Capital square. Frida's was a neat place inside; an older building with rustic charm. It's a 2-story restaurant. The picture below is taken from the second floor looking down onto the main area of the restaurant. As you can see, there is seating on the second floor all along the balcony with views downstairs.



My theme of posts about restaurants and bars is painfully obvious, isn't it? Oh, well. Why stop now? The next pictures are from a new spot Scott and I hit the Friday he was in town. I wish I had gotten a picture of the outside of this place. It was cute. A little cottage-house looking place. But, the only picture I took on the outside was of the sign.



Inside the Village Bar, it was quaint and no frills. Something we liked a lot about this place is that there are windows behind the bar with a view to the outside. Think about it. When you sit at most bars, you are facing part of the bar itself with bottles of liquor, sometimes mirrors and/or TV's. At the Village Bar, when you sit at the bar, you have a lovely view right out onto a golf course (with TV's and a big "Bud Light" sign above the windows; it is a still bar after all.) Isn't it a lovely view though?



We were told by the bartender at the Village Bar that they are known for having good burgers and fries. Sure enough, the cook has a small flat top grill and deep fryer set up right there behind the bar, cooking some shit up. Scott did order a burger and fries. I had a few bites and, indeed, it was good. Good as far as bar food goes. Actually, I'm not even sure it was good. It was more that the burger had a distinct grill taste. Apparently the Village Bar is a popular joint. It got packed while we were there. We were acutely aware of the volume of people ordering burgers because they had to come to the bar, where we were sitting, to place their orders. No one waiting on tables at this place. You want a beer? You want a burger? You get your ass up and walk to the bar and get it.

At one point, the food line was right next to where I was sitting so I did notice a lot of people ordering burgers. What I didn't notice so much was people ordering the liver sausage.



What? No liver sausage? But it's only $2.75.....

I also noticed that this picture captures the "Please Order at Bar" sign. See, I told you. You want a beer? You want a burger? You get your ass up and walk to the bar and get it.

1 comment:

ReneeH said...

What a wonderful thing to get to know a new city and all the "special" places it has to offer. Now I've got to get off my ass and walk to the frig to get a drink.