Friday, February 25, 2011

Small Town Bakery

As you probably know by now, Scott and I live in a small town.  Downtown Stoughton is quaint and charming.  I haven't explored the downtown shops as much as I would like to, but hope to do so once spring weather arrives.  One place I have already checked out, though, is Fosdal Bakery.


Fosdal is a Stoughton staple.  We love this small town bakery.  The confections they make are so mouth-watering good.  It ain't much to look at on the inside, but the breads and pastries are out of this world.


The doughnuts....oh, the doughnuts......


I read in a magazine that Fosdal sells 400 dozen doughnuts each day.  That's a lot of doughnuts.  At that quantity, they are obviously selling/delivering outside of Stoughton.  At least I hope this small town of 12,000 people isn't eating 400 dozen doughnuts a day.  Geesh.   

As I mentioned, it ain't much to look at on the inside and it sure won't win any decorating awards on HGTV shows.  When we were waiting to pay for our purchase this past Saturday, I noticed these saucers on the counter.  Recognize these?  I think they are the very first pattern of Corelle dinnerware from the 70's.


They have a variety of delicious breads at Fosdal.  Right after we moved to our house here, the next door neighbor came over to introduce herself and brought us some rolls from there.  We loved them---- them as in the rolls----immediately.  The jury is still out on the neighbors.

The display isn't fancy, but the breads and rolls are amazing.  Atkins Diet be damned.


And let's not forget the yummy cookies.  They had a big display of brightly decorated cookies, but I couldn't get a picture because while we were there a little kid was standing in front of it, hands on the display case glass, staring wide-eyed and longingly at all the sweet options.



Scott and I got an absolutely sinful mini-chocolate cake with a cream layer and chocolate icing.  Kind of like a really good, big, homemade Hostess Ho-Ho.  I don't know what it was exactly.  All I do know is that once we got it home, it was gone quickly.  So quickly, in fact, that I didn't even get a picture of it.

So, there you have it.  Fosdal-- a small town bakery.  As I'm wrapping up this post, it occurred to me the only two places downtown I have scoped out are a pub and a bakery.  Figures.

No comments: