Monday, April 26, 2010

Chipotle






Chipotle.

I do enjoy a burrito or a "bowl" from Chipotle. Scott's not a big fan, but I like it. It's tasty and I think the ingredients are good quality. There are 2 things that slay me about Chipotle though.

#1 It drives me ape shit when people reach over the protective glass to point at what they want. Really? That flippin' glass is there for a reason.  "I'll take black beans"- and then the hand goes over the glass to point at the black beans.  "I'll take corn salsa"- and then the hand goes over the glass to point at the corn salsa.  Why don't these people just sneeze on the food too while they're at it?  I realize sometimes there is a language barrier when ordering at Chipotle.  But still.  I feel like saying, "Get your little pissy hand back behind the glass and quit reaching over to point at the food."  I'm a bit of a germ-o-phobe. I cringe just thinking about the hands going over the glass.  Ugh.

#2 When you order at Chipotle, it doesn't matter if you ask for "a little" or "extra" of any of the ingredients. You get what you get. Seriously, it makes absolutely no difference. Extra cheese? No. You just get cheese. Extra sour cream? No. You just get sour cream. You get whatever the person assembling your food wants you to have. Your request for "extra" or "a little" bears no weight.

My problem in this regard has to do with hot sauce. I like hot sauce, but for me there is such a thing as too much. On one recent trip to Chipotle, I told the person making my burrito "a little hot sauce". "A little hot sauce" translated into a full ladle dumped on my burrito. A full f*cking ladle. It was ridiculous. It made eating the burrito non-enjoyable, even painful, because it was just way too hot. And, sorry to be graphic, but what goes in must come out. It burned going in and it burned coming out. I would characterize my experience with that particular burrito as suffering. Of course, it didn't stop me from eating it. But I did suffer for it. Does that make me a masochist of some kind? A Chipotle masochist.  Troubling. 

Anyhow, I mentioned my Chipotle problem to my dear friend Renee. Have you ever had one of those moments when someone makes a suggestion to you and the light goes on, the bells ring, the angels sing? I had that moment when Renee suggested I ask for the hot sauce on the side so I can control the amount put on my burrito.

Hot sauce on the side. My friend Renee is brilliant.

2 comments:

Jeano said...

Our friend Renee is brilliant. I, too, love Chipotle, but not watching the assembly process. I always get burrito bowls, so they don't even have to worry about fitting anything into a tortilla. They just glop on one spoonful of stuff after another.

ReneeK said...

I love you guys!